Skip to main content

Southlake Runs on Dunkin’

Oct 12, 2011 01:31PM, Published by Mike, Categories:




In 1950 when Dunkin’ Donuts founder Bill Rosenberg opened the first Dunkin’ Donuts in Quincy Massachusetts, he had a simple philosophy:

“Make and serve the freshest, most delicious coffee and donuts quickly and courteously in modern, well-merchandised stores.”

This philosophy, long since a staple for coffee lovers in the northeastern United States, became a national and world-wide phenomenon. By 1992, Dunkin’ Donuts had opened 3,000 of its coffee and donut shops in the US alone. In comparison, Starbucks, which opened its first store in Seattle’s Pike Place Market in 1971, had just 165 stores.

The East-West coast coffee rivalry has been brewing for much of the last twenty years. During this time Starbucks, through an initial public offering, gained national notoriety and grew over 100 times to 16,858 stores across the globe. But for many Dunkin’ Donuts was still highly regarded as the behemoth of the bean. Through their own IPO this July, the long-time privately held operation looks to expand from their base of 9,805 stores world-wide.

One of its very first post IPO stores will be opened right here in Southlake. This month it is, “Time to Make the Donuts” at their 2255 West Southlake Boulevard location in the old Albertson’s plaza. Southlake residents who for years have had four different Starbucks stores to choose from can now opt for a fresh brewed cup of Dunkin’s100 percent Arabica bean goodness. And when Dunkin’ says, “fresh brewed,” they mean it because each carafe is freshly ground, brewed and served every 18 minutes. If not used in that time, a new carafe is made ensuring coffee lovers get only the best morning, noon and night.

The first national brand to exclusively use Fair Trade Certified cofffee, Dunkin’ Donuts sells more than 1.5 billion cups of coffee each year. They continuing to use the original proprietary coffee blend recipe established by Rosenberg over 60 years ago. Blending their classic brew along with social responsibility Dunkin’ Donuts has been consistently ranked No. 1 for customer loyalty for years. With coffee leading the charge, beverages including cappuccino, lattes and iced coffees, account for nearly 60 percent of Dunkin’ Donuts’ U.S. sales. The remaining 40 percent of sales are bakery items and breakfast sandwiches.

The original Dunkin’ Donuts experience circa 1950 was a single cup of coffee with a donut – starting this month Dunkin’ Donuts offers Southlake residents and commuters a wide range of coffee, coffee beverages, baked goods, and an ever expanding menu. 




  • We are raising food for our local shelters and are offering a FREE blow out for every bag of Cat ...


  • Tasty Tales

    03/27/2017
    09:30AM — 10:30AM

    It's time to cook with our favorite books! Join us as we have fun learning a new recipe each week...


  • Tasty Tales

    03/27/2017
    09:30AM — 10:30AM

    It's time to cook with our favorite books! Join us as we have fun learning a new recipe each week...


  • Soup's On!

    03/27/2017
    06:00PM — 07:30PM

    In this FREE cooking class from Healthy Living with Pam, you'll learn to make three healthy, deli...


  • Kinky Boots

    03/28/2017
    12:00AM

    Don’t miss your chance to see one of Broadway’s most exhilarating musicals, “Kinky Boots.” Winner...


  • Dine For Dragons: March 28

    03/28/2017
    07:00AM — 12:00AM

    Eat in. Take out. Help fuel Carroll Education Foundation with every meal on March 28. Restaurants...


  • We are raising food for our local shelters and are offering a FREE blow out for every bag of Cat ...


  • Latin Dance with Loui

    03/28/2017
    06:30PM — 07:30PM

    2 free series starting Feb. 28 "Latin Dance with Loui" lets adult participants sample a variet...


Read This Month's Digital Issue