LED Lighting, The Shift in Southlake
Feb 04, 2014 02:10PM ● Published by Anonymous
Sponsored by TLC Electrical
Written by Tami Church
Southlake, where have all the light bulbs gone?
At least where have all the incandescent light bulbs gone? Well, starting last year, there was a lot of chatter focused on the federal government’s “banning” of the 40 and 60 watt incandescent light bulbs. You know, the ones you can grab at the grocery store? Well, these old and familiar are flying off the shelves and major retailers estimate their supply will be depleted by mid 2014. Does this come as a surprise to those of you in Southlake? Well, then you’ll be even more surprised to find out that this is the last of a four part time line that phases out inefficient lighting options including 75 and 100 watt incandescent bulbs, certain Halogen lamps and most magnetic fluorescent ballasts.
CFL and LED Lighting – The new “Normal”
It all started with the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which requires the 40, 60, 75, and 100 watt incandescent light bulbs to be more energy efficient. They say the EISA doesn’t “ban” these bulbs, incandescent bulb manufacturers can not meet these new energy efficient guidelines. So the alternatives left to you, the consumer, are CFL’s (Compact Fluorescent Lights) and LED bulbs (Light Emitting Diodes).
Dang, that light is HOT
Visible light, or how “bright” light looks, is measured in lumens. A 60 watt incandescent bulb uses 60 watts to produce 800 lumens. In comparison, a CFL’s uses 15 watts to produce 800 lumens and an LED bulb only requires 12 watts. The fewer watts used, the lower your electric bill will be. In addition, the incandescent bulb uses approximately 5% of its energy to produce the visible light, the other 95% produces heat.
After ten minutes a 60 watt incandescent bulb can reach temperatures of up to 288 degrees Fahrenheit, while the LED is a comparatively cool 80 degrees (approximate) Fahrenheit. Additional heat transfers to higher energy costs in cooling your home. That’s just what you need during a 105 degree Texas summer. An you know there are more economical ways to heat your home during the winter.
LED Light Bulb Uses 5X Less Energy
Incandescent A Bulb $0.77 Replace 1 x Per Year Uses 60 watts
CFL A Bulb $1.74 Last up to 9 years Uses 15 watts
LED A Bulb $12.97 Last up to 25 Years Uses 12 watts
LED Lighting Reduces Costs Over Time
Yes, the new options available each have a higher upfront cost but let’s consider the true cost of a light bulb over time. The True Cost being the Purchase Price + Electric Bill + Replacement Bulbs + Hassle Factor. Imagine installing a light bulb today that does not have to be replaced until 2039 and it will produce the same amount of light at 80% less energy costs.
Learn more about LED Lighting at TLCElectrical.com/lighting-installation/led-lighting/
TLC Electrical is here to help residents of Southlake, TX and the surrounding areas get the most out of their electrical appliances. Browse through our specials and satisfied customer reviews online and call (817) 424-2684 today to schedule a service appointment.