Skip to main content

Q&A: Putting Some Bite in the Battle

Sep 25, 2015 02:35PM ● Published by Dia

Pattie Stebbins is not only a breast cancer survivor; she’s a leader in its prevention. As Chairman for Dine Out for the Cure, a program under the wing of Susan G. Komen, Stebbins is giving Southlake residents a chance to help those who are fighting.

During the month of October, participating restaurants in the area will donate some of their proceeds to Susan G. Komen and national breast cancer research. By simply eating at one of these restaurants during the event, each person can do their part in raising funds and awareness for breast cancer.

Wife of the late Brian Stebbins, the founder of Southlake Town Square, Stebbins is excited to bring what was a successful event in the Ft. Worth area a little bit closer to home.

If you can, share with our readers your history with Susan G. Komen.

Thirteen years ago, I was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer. It was then I became more aware of Susan G. Komen. Since then I have participated in various Komen races around the United States.

What inspired you to get involved with Dine Out for the Cure?

The Dine Out for the Cure is unique and different than the Race for the Cure. It will raise more awareness from surrounding families and individuals.

This is the first year for the event in Southlake. What are you most excited about?

Creating awareness that 75 percent of all funds stay in the greater Ft. Worth community. The remaining 25 percent go to national research to find a cure.

How large of a fundraiser is this for Komen?

This is a new endeavor for Komen in Southlake. It was done for one day in Ft. Worth last year, and we are expanding in other communities in Tarrant County. 

Tell me about your journey to becoming Chairman.

I decided to become involved through a series of conversations with friends. Because I am a survivor and it’s in my own backyard, I feel honored they asked me.

What are some of the biggest challenges you’ve faced in this role?

One of the biggest challenges is going through the corporate channels to get them to sign on to participate.

What do you enjoy about leading the charge in Southlake?

I really enjoy meeting other women who have a passion for fundraising and leading the cause for Komen.

You’re involved in a number of philanthropic endeavors in the community. What drives you?
It is always great to see your work make a difference locally.

How can the community get involved in Dine Out forthe Cure?

The community can get involved in the event by dining
out at the participating restaurants. Their contributions
will really make a difference.
Visit KomenGreaterFortWorth. org to see a list of participating restaurants in Southlake.

What do you want the people of Southlake and surrounding areas to know about this event?

We would like the people to know they have a chance to show that we are a caring community. 

In Print
  • WHEELS & WARBIRDS

    09/24/2017
    10:00AM — 05:00PM

    Cavanaugh Flight Museum brings the sights and sounds of history to life Saturday and Sunday, Sept...


  • Dallas Decorators Showhouse in Southlake

    09/24/2017
    10:30AM — 05:00PM

    We are in need of volunteer tour guides for morning and afternoon shifts beginning Tuesday, Septe...


  • Exhibit: Seeing is a Nervous Habit

    09/24/2017
    01:00PM — 05:00PM

    A retrospective of Kenda North’s work. The exhibit will be accompanied by a group exhibition of f...


  • WindSync

    09/24/2017
    06:00PM — 07:00PM

    Award winning, national touring chamber ensemble with a refreshing unique style


  • Exhibit: Seeing is a Nervous Habit

    09/28/2017
    10:00AM — 05:00PM

    A retrospective of Kenda North’s work. The exhibit will be accompanied by a group exhibition of f...


  • Dallas Decorators Showhouse in Southlake

    09/28/2017
    10:30AM — 05:00PM

    We are in need of volunteer tour guides for morning and afternoon shifts beginning Tuesday, Septe...


  • SusieCakes Grand Opening Happy Hour

    09/28/2017
    03:00PM — 07:30PM

    Enjoy the grand opening of SusieCakes in Fort Worth with a week of happy hour deals! Monday 9...


  • Dragon Pride 2017 Preview Party

    09/28/2017
    05:30PM — 07:30PM

    You're invited to attend our annual Dragon Pride Preview Party! Join the free festivities as we u...


  • Mama Won't Fly

    09/28/2017
    07:00PM

    On September 28th and 30th Carroll Senior High School theatre will present the outrageously hilar...


Read This Month's Digital Issue
STAY CONNECTED
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM