Skip to main content

Southlake Style

Dragons Break Through to the Next Round

Nov 15, 2015 06:13PM ● By Mike

Southlake Carrol RB Lil' Jordan Humphrey breaks through the Cedar Hill defense in the first round of the 2015 UIL football playoffs. Humphrey accounted for 289 yards and three TDs as the Dragons defeated Cedar Hill 37-33 at Dragon Stadium. Photo by S. Johnson/

by EJ Holland

All Lil’ Jordan Humphrey could do was watch.

With just a little over a minute left, Cedar Hill’s explosive offense had a chance to go 98 yards down the field to win the game after making a big defensive stand. On the first play of the possession, Cedar Hill saw an errant snap go through the back of the end zone — Southlake Carroll was rewarded a safety.

 Pandemonium ensued.

“I saw when the ball went over (the quarterback’s) head,” Humphrey said. “When that happened, we all just went crazy. It’s unexplainable.”

Humphrey rushed for 176 yards, caught five passes for 113 yards and scored three total touchdowns as Southlake Carroll topped Cedar Hill, the defending 6A DII state champions, 37-33, in the first round of the state playoffs. For his efforts Humphrey was named as the Dragon Player of the Week (his third recognition of the honor this season).

Humphrey did most of his damage in the first half as he scored both of Southlake Carroll’s first two touchdowns and later reeled in a 26-yard score to put Southlake Carroll up 21-7 midway through the second quarter.

Clinging onto to a two-point lead with 6:48 to go in the game, the Dragons once again turned to Humphrey as they attempted to run out the clock. Humhprey responded with a couple of tough runs, including a 50-yard scamper.

While Southlake Carroll eventually turned the ball over on downs, it did take almost six minutes off the clock and pinned Cedar Hill deep in its own territory.

“It wasn’t me at the end,” Humphrey said. “It was the offensive line putting the team on their back and opening up holes for me all game. I really appreciate them doing what they did.”

The two points from the safety were the only points Southlake Carroll scored in the second half. It held a 35-21 lead at halftime.

 Cedar Hill stormed back to start the second half as it put together a seven-minute drive that resulted in a 7-yard touchdown run by quarterback Avery Davis. Cedar Hill scored again less than three minutes later as Davis hit Josh Stewart for a 14-yard touchdown.

The Longhorns had a chance to tie the game on a two-point conversion but failed after an offensive pass interference call pushed them back to the 17. The score remained 35-33.

Cedar Hill had all the momentum going into the fourth quarter and was driving down the field to take its first lead. But Southlake Carroll’s defense rose to the occasion and found a way to make a stop.

“It was unbelievable,” said cornerback Obi Eboh said. “It was the last home game here in Southlake, and we couldn’t have finished any better.”

Southlake Carroll head coach Hal Wasson decided to try to ice the game on fourth and goal from the four by going for it instead of trying to extend the lead to five with a field goal with about a minute remaining, but quarterback Mason Holmes threw an interception.

After the safety, Holmes breathed a sigh of relief and took a knee as Southlake Carroll ran out the clock and clinched an area round date with Denton Guyer.

“We knew we had to come out here and beat the defending state champions,” said safety Robert Barnes. “Now, we’re going all the way. There is no doubt.” 

11/13/15 Coach Hal Wasson Post Game interview with