Southlake in Top 11 Percent of Cities With Most Sustainable Credit Card Debt
Jan 12, 2016 10:23PM
● By Kevin
CardHub’s analysts drew upon data from TransUnion, the Federal Reserve, the U.S. Census Bureau and CardHub’s proprietary credit card payoff calculator to determine the number of months required to pay off the average credit-card balances and associated finance costs in 2,547 U.S. cities.
Southlake tied for a favorable 279th ranking, putting it just outside the top 10 percent in the nation, according to this particular list. The city's average credit card debt is $11,512, with a cost to pay it off averaging $2,363. The average amount of time it would take to pay off these numbers is 32 months according to CardHub's Credit Card Payoff Calculator.
Neighboring Towns in Comparison
- Colleyville - Tied for 485th. Average credit card debt: $11,107. Cost to pay off: $2,500. Payoff months: 25.
- Flower Mound - Average credit card debt: $9,168. Cost to pay off: $2,186. Payoff months: 37.
- Keller - Tied for 745th. Average credit card debt: $8,835. Cost to pay off: $2,166. Payoff months: 38.
- Grapevine - Tied for 1,179th. Average credit card debt: $7,732. Cost to pay off: $2,158. Payoff months: 43.
- Trophy Club - Did not make the list.
- Beverly Hills, Calif., has the highest average credit-card debt, which is five times greater than in Clarkston, Ga., the city with the lowest.
- Scarsdale, N.Y., has the highest median earnings for workers, which are 10 times greater than in Carbondale, Ill., the city with the lowest.
- College Station, Texas, has the longest payoff timeline, which is 47 times longer than in Cupertino, Calif., the city with the shortest.
In order to identify the cities with the most and least sustainable credit-card debts, CardHub first looked at the average credit-card balances of residents in each of 2,547 U.S. cities as of September 2015, based on TransUnion data. The analysis includes credit cards that carried a balance and excludes store cards. With regard to our sample, please note that "city" refers to city proper and excludes surrounding metro areas.
Using CardHub's credit card payoff calculator and resident's average credit-card balance and income, they then determined the required number of months to pay off the balance and the resulting finance charges. To read the full methodology, click here.
About CardHubCard Hub® is owned and operated by Evolution Finance. Evolution Finance was founded by Odysseas Papadimitriou, a credit card industry veteran who believes that the current industry practices represent a significant opportunity for improvement, when it comes to the benefit that consumers receive from their financial products. The company also operates WalletHub – the first social network built from the ground up around personal finance.
Card Hub is a first-of-its-kind search tool that redefines the way people search, compare, and apply for credit cards.