West Nile Returns Quick Action Taken
Sep 12, 2013 08:36AM ● Published by Mike
A 1/2 mile radius around RES Elementary will be sprayed for mosquitoes Thursday 9/12/13.
As a precaution Carroll ISD has made the decision not to have recess at both Rockenbaugh Elementary and Old Union Elementary on Thursday or Friday (9/12 and 9/13).
The City plans to ground spray a one-half mile radius of the RES campus after dark tonight. The spray will dissipate with the morning sun on Friday, but CISD maintenance staff will clean the outdoor playground equipment and benches as an added precautionary measure.
“While this is Southlake’s first positive test this year, we feel that it’s important to take action quickly to help eliminate future positive tests,” said Public Works Director Bob Price. “In the meantime, people who live in the area are encouraged to protect themselves and their families, by using bug spray every time you go outdoors and staying indoors during the dusk and dawn hours.”
The City also warns that during spraying people should:
- Avoid being outside during spraying; close windows and keep pets inside.
- If skin or clothes are exposed, wash them with soap and water.
- Rinse homegrown fruits and vegetables with water as a general precautionary measure.
- Cover small ornamental fish ponds.
- Because the chemical breaks down quickly in sunlight and water, no special precautions are suggested for outdoor swimming areas.